Does Shapewear Work? The Trick to Finding Your Perfect Shapewear
Shapewear is no longer just for celebrities and high-society women; nowadays, anyone can benefit from wearing shapewear. From Spanx to Skims and all the popular shapewear brands, the options are endless. Even shapewear jeans are popular now! But with so many different types of shapewear on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start.
If you're wondering "does shapewear work?," the answer is yes! But finding the right type of shapewear for your body type and needs is key to achieving the desired results. Read on for a quick guide to help you find the best shapewear for you.
How Does Shapewear Work?
Shapewear compression garments have been around for centuries, but the modern versions we have today are much more comfortable and effective.
Modern shapewear works by compressing the body and holding it in shape. This is done through a combination of paneling, seam placement and compression materials. Each garment is designed to smooth out troublesome areas, shave off a few inches and generally give you a smoother, more controlled silhouette.
The key to finding the perfect shapewear is to know your body type and what you want to achieve. There are different types of shapewear for upper tummy, lower tummy, bottoms, etc., so it's important to find the right one for you. There are also different levels of compression, so you can choose how much shaping you want.
Once you've found the right shapewear for you, it's important to make sure it fits properly. Shapewear should be snug but not too tight, and it should be comfortable enough to wear all day. If you're not sure what size you need, it's always best to err on the side of caution and go up a size.
So does shapewear work? Yes, it can definitely help you look and feel your best. But it's important to find the right type of shapewear for your body type and needs. With a little trial and error, you'll be sure to find the perfect shapewear for you.
Also see our related blog articles on:
Does Shapewear Help You Lose Weight?
Although shapewear can help smooth out your silhouette, it generally doesn't do much in the way of weight loss. The compression materials used in most shapewear garments are not meant to be worn for extended periods of time, and they definitely don't promote any kind of long-term weight loss or healthy lifestyle habits. So if you're looking to lose weight, shapewear isn't the answer.
However, if you're looking for a way to smooth out your silhouette and feel more confident in your clothes, shapewear can definitely help!
What Kind of Shapewear Do I Need?
In terms of choosing your shapewear, it depends on what you're looking to achieve. Do you want to smooth out your tummy? Are you looking to shape your bottom? There are different types of shapewear for different areas of the body. Here are some tips for finding the right type of shapewear for you:
- Tummy Shapewear: If you want to smooth out your tummy, look for a high-waisted style that will offer compression and control in the area you need it most.You can also opt for waist trainers to target your waist or stomach specifically.
- Butt Lifting Shapewear: If you're looking to shape your bottom, look for a style that offers support in the form of straps or panels. These will help lift and define your booty. Democracy for example, offers booty lifting jeans for a comfortable and subtle shapewear experience that enhances your natural curves.
- Thigh Slimming Shapewear: If you're looking to slim your thighs, look for a style that offers compression in the form of panels or a high waist.
- Full Body Shapewear: If you're looking for an all-over slimming effect, look for a full bodysuit that offers compression in the form of panels or a high waist.
What Are Some Features to Look For in Shapewear?
When you're shopping for shapewear, there are a few features to look for that will ensure a comfortable, flattering fit:
- Seamless: Look for seamless styles that will lay flat against your skin and won't show through your clothes.
- Firmness: Choose a level of firmness that is comfortable for you. If you're looking for an all-over slimming effect, choose a style that is more firm. If you're just looking to smooth out a few trouble spots, a lighter weight fabric will do the trick.
- Stretch: Look for fabrics that have a good amount of stretch so they will move with you and won't feel constricting.
- Breathability: If you're wearing shapewear for an extended period of time, breathability is key. Look for fabrics that are lightweight and airy so you don't get too hot or sweaty.
What Size Shapewear Do I Need?
When shopping for shapewear, it's important to choose a size that is comfortable and offers the level of compression you're looking for. If you're unsure of what size to choose, it's always best to err on the side of larger rather than smaller. You may also want to consider trying on a few different sizes to find the one that gives you the best fit.
If you are wondering how to choose the right shapewear for your body type, you should first determine what body type category your figure falls under. Once you know your specific body type, you should keep the following in mind when shopping for shapewear:
- Apple Body Type: If you have an apple body type, you'll want to look for shapewear that compresses your upper tummy and waist. Try a high-waisted panty or girdle to help control your curves and give you a more streamlined silhouette. Avoid shapewear that is tight around your midsection, as it will only accentuate your problem areas. In terms of compression level, you will want high to medium compression for better tummy control.
- Pear Body Type: If you have a pear body type, you'll want to look for shapewear that compresses your hips and thighs. A pair of high-waisted shorts or briefs can help to slim down your lower half, while still providing support for your midsection. Avoid shapewear that is too tight around your waist, as it will only accentuate your problem areas.
- Hourglass Body Type: If you have an hourglass body type, you'll want to look for shapewear that enhances your natural curves. A body shaping slip or corset can help to give you a more defined waistline, while still providing support for your bust and hips. Avoid shapewear that is too loose or too tight, as it will only accentuate your problem areas.
Rocking Your New Shapewear
Now that you know all about shapewear, it's time to find the perfect style for you. With so many options available, you're sure to find a style that will help you achieve the look you want. And don't forget, shapewear is a great way to boost your confidence and feel your best. So go out there and rock that body with the perfect, comfortable shapewear for you!