White Not to White Haute: Tips for Wearing White Denim
We love the idea of clean and crisp, white summer pants. But every time summer rolls around, we try on white jeans and are always faced with the same problem… sheerness, visible lumps, and bumps that our darker jeans seem to hide.
Unfortunately, summer weight jeans have to be thin because who wants to wear thick denim on 100-degree hot summer days!
So, what’s a fashionista to do when the invite to the Summer White Party arrives and you have no choice – wear white or go home? Using the tips below from the Democracy Clothing team, you’ll be rocking our white denim collection long past Labor Day:
- Play with shade: Off-white, cream, blanched almond and ivory are all technically white but they mask and hide the imperfections that white denim jeans seem to highlight. Choosing a shade or two darker than stark white really helps!
- Loosen up: Tighter is not always better when it comes to showing off your curves. Size up for a more relaxed fit that will look great even after you enjoy the barbeque on July 4th. Try this trick with jeans or white denim shorts.
- A little height never hurts: Heels are the not-so-secret way to elongate your legs, and who doesn’t love a strappy sandal wedge for the summer? Throw on your favorite pair of white ankle jeans, such as our “Ab”solution® Optic White Ankle Skimmer, for an easy but polished look that can go from work to happy hour.
- Sit back and relax: Whether or not you’ll be relaxing this summer, your bottoms need to be! Choose flowy or tapered white pants, like a trouser, that will drape nicely.
- Follow the golden rule: For those of us who are on the paler side, apply tanning lotion or treat yourself to a spray tan a few days before wearing white. A natural bronze look will give you that extra boost of confidence as you step into your summer.
- Top if off: Wear a tunic-length top to cover any areas you don’t want to show off. You can also add a layering piece such as our Ruffle Sleeve Patchwork Animal Print Woven Kimono or a light cardigan.
- Go undercover: Noticing that care labels can show through summer fabric? Snap a photo so you have the care instructions on hand, and cut it out with a pair of scissors. Then, try shapewear shorts made for wearing under jeans, a nude-colored thong, or better yet go commando. Thank you, next!
If you follow strict fashion rules, then you’re familiar with the 98-day window that is reserved for white outfits, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Well, it’s 2021, and after a year spent mostly confined to home, it’s time to break free. We no longer need to cram all of these cute outfits from our white denim collection into a 98-day window. Our tips and tricks will carry your favorite white denim jeans from summer into fabulous fall and winter white. Now there’s no reason not to have a white haute wardrobe all year round.